JO 3839 – Design Drafter
12-8-20 Design Drafters are ultimately responsible for the design and pricing of products according to project requirements.
The Design Drafter develops pricing, submittals, layouts, schematics and shop details as
part of a design team in accordance with project specifications and site conditions. The position requires
knowledge of the Sales, Project Management, Engineering and Production Process along with a thorough
understanding of the manufacturing and construction processes with the ability to work on multiple tasks
concurrently. Design Drafters must possess a strong understanding of Materials, Building Codes and
some Engineering Principles.
● Thoroughly review project specifications and scope, placing emphasis on design requirements.
● As part of a Project Team, prepare pricing estimates, submittal drawings for customer approval
based upon project specifications, scope and engineering requirements.
● Coordinate with project team to determine potential value engineering opportunities for the
● Work in conjunction with the project strategy and schedule set forth by the Project Manager.
● Prepare measuring templates, acquire field dimensions and construct as-built 3D models and
layouts to ensure design feasibility and accuracy.
● With the use of Rhino, Revit and AutoCAD software, prepare accurate assembly and part
drawings to assure proper fabrication and installation of product.
● Prepare bills of materials and project routers to the Process Engineer and Production Manager.
● Assist the Project Manager with quality control measures throughout fabrication and installation
phases of the project.
● Assist the Project Manager in the completion of all specified closeout documents required by the
customer including final ‘as-built’ drawings.
● Perform project review with thorough synopsis of project and opportunities for improved
performance on future projects.
● Provide material take-offs and estimates and assist in project forecasting.
● Assist the Project Manager with change orders, project schedules and project evaluation.
● Integrate educational and professional experience to optimize project efficiencies.
● Associates degree in Mechanical Design / CAD Technology or similar is required
● 5+ years of related experience. Manufacturing and construction experience preferred.
● Proficiency with AutoCAD, Revit and Rhino or comparable program is required.
● Ability to read and interpret fabrication drawings.
● Ability to maintain a high degree of integrity, loyalty and honesty; not divulge to outside parties’
information of a confidential nature pertaining to the company’s operations or bids
● Ability to carry out the duties described in the job description in an efficient manner.